Tuesday 6 October 2009

How do you manage to switch off from work?


...I do it with jogging, not for everyone I know and that includes most of the people I work with!

In January 2008 I decided that I wanted to do something to raise money for a charity that was important to me. With a busy schedule at the best of times it took quite a bit of deliberating to decide that maybe I could start jogging. Never someone to do thinks by halves I bought a pair of decent trainers and set about training to do a half marathon in September! I know most people who have only just taken up jogging might have settled with a 10k race to start with but I always have to push myself. I also have to make sure that I tell as many people as possible so that there is no way that I can back out. So the challenge was set.

May 2008 was half way through my training schedule and saw me taking part in the Manchester 10k – a bit of test of my ability. Race went well and I finished in a respectable time. So far so good! The lead up to September was challenging as I increased my distances in preparation for the 13.2 miles of the Leeds Half Marathon. The race itself was quite daunting and very hilly! I feel I fully appreciated just how hilly when I got to the top of one particular hill and a very nice chap told me that I had done well to survive ‘cardiac hill’!!! It was really hard going from 10 miles onwards when I ran out of energy but sheer stubbornness got me through the last 3 miles, still jogging otherwise it was going to take me even longer to get to the finish line! Becs and Sarah from the office were waiting to cheer me over the finish line and it was fantastic to see friendly faces – even if they did want pictures when I looked so sweaty and hideous!! The sense of achievement was amazing and I raised over a £1,000 for St. Gemma’s Hospice in Leeds.

But the jogging had become a bit of a bug and although not so strictly I continued with jogging though the winter when I could get out. So January 2009 sees me deciding that I need another personal challenge and obviously it needs to be better than 2008.

So completing the Great North Run (13.2 miles on the 20th September) and The Great South Run (10 miles on the 25th October – 2 days before my 40th birthday so no early celebrating!!!) was the plan of action.

The Great North Run was an all round amazing experience! From setting off to Newcastle at 6.30am in the morning to seeing Gordon Ramsay arrive also looking excited about taking part to slapping hands with Sting as I went over the start line to jogging with a ‘push me pull you’. The crowds lined every part of the 13.2 miles and their support is what made it such an unbelievable experience. For those that didn’t see the coverage on BBC1 it was a scorching hot day and I did suffer with the heat at miles 5 & 6 but then I managed to cool myself down and get into a steady pace for the rest of the race. I finished it on an absolute high and am now hooked on the Great North Run Experience and will definitely be doing it again next year!

So its now just less than 3 weeks to the Great South Run, training is harder because it’s getting darker earlier and motivating myself to run in the dark isn’t easy!!! But i’m really excited as it’s home territory and a flat course. So on the 25th October when you’re enjoying a leisurely Sunday morning spare a thought for me embarking on my next race!

If you are interested in sponsoring me and supporting St Gemma’s Hospice please visit my justgiving page (www.justgiving.com/gilmours)

No comments:

Post a Comment